Monday, November 23, 2009

Films I Watched in the Past Few Days

Gentlemen Broncos: This wasn't quite what I expected. From the trailers, I figured it would be a bit more plot-driven than Jared Hess' earlier films. However, it was not. Not to say that this is a terrible thing--considering there really is no one out there making films like his (and in this day and age, that is a rarity.) It's not a fast-paced film. The absurdity of the thing made it worthwhile. One bizarre situation after another that illicit giggles long after the film credits roll. This definitely isn't a film for everyone--not even of Napoleon Dynamite fans--but for those select few, it is a gem.

Boondock Saints II: All Saint's Day: I enjoyed the first Boondock Saints. In fact, I remember thinking it was one of the better films I'd watched in recent times. This was ten years ago, and for its time it was a good flick. This one, sadly, is not a good film for its time. Had it been made eight of nine years ago, it would've been an acceptable sequel. As it stands, All Saint's Day is a 90s action film made in 2009, and that is simply not acceptable. After the Bourne trilogy and spectacle pieces like Wanted, guys simply running around shooting guns with a bit of slow-motion thrown in doesn't cut it anymore. Just goes to show that pissing off Hollywood is a bad thing (watch this film to know what I'm talking about.)

Away We Go: This is a good film for any late-twenties folk to see. Not only does the film hit everything production-wise, it's a good story, one that makes you laugh, possibly cry, have something torn from you, and realize the true weight of "starting a family." I honestly can say much more than that, as you simply need to watch the thing. Just trust me, it's good.

No comments: